Find out about further study

Advice on deciding whether it’s right for you, choosing a course, and studying in the UK and other countries.

Which type of further study do you have in mind? 

Types of further study 

  • Masters degrees: these can be taught, or research based. Taught courses usually include a short research project as well as taught content, and are twelve months long in the UK. Research-based courses have a longer research project and are one or two years in length. (The undergraduate MA from this university is equivalent to a BA, and is not a postgraduate qualification.) 

  • Postgraduate diplomas and certificates: these are usually vocational, such as teaching, law and librarianship. They last one year.  

  • Second undergraduate degrees: these may be appropriate if you want to start learning about a completely new subject (for example medicine).  

  • PhDs (also known as DPhils): these are self-directed research projects which include a thesis and make a unique contribution to the subject. They take at least three years (five to seven years part-time). A Masters is usually required; some universities offer Integrated PhDs which consist of a 1-year Masters leading into a 3-year PhD. 

       Moving on to a PhD 

Expand all
Collapse all