If you are on a Tier 4 visa

Find out more about working part-time as an international student on a Student Visa or Tier 4 Visa.

Working part-time can be a great way to earn some extra money, develop your skills – including your English language skills, if you’re not a native speaker - and meet new people. You need to think carefully about whether you can fit it in with your academic studies. Most students on a Tier 4 or Student visa are eligible to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week during semester and full-time during vacation. Please note that students on full-time taught postgraduate Masters courses don't have a summer vacation. Some students, however, are not allowed to do as much as this, and you should check your passport to see what your individual situation is. The Student Immigration Service can help you. 

The University offers more information, through the Student Immigration Service, about:

  • the types of work Tier 4 or Student visa holders are allowed to do, and not allowed to do
  • the number of hours Tier 4 or Student visa holders can work

Working in the UK during studies (Student Immigration Service)

Working Hours

The University recommends that if you are a full-time Masters student you do not work more than 15 hours per week. This recommendation applies to all full-time Masters students. For more information on this see:

Working Hours and Rights at work

National Insurance Number

Everyone who works in the UK needs a National Insurance Number. If you are planning to work in the UK in any capacity then it is worth applying for your National Insurance Number as early as you can. Find out more about National Insurance Numbers here:

National Insurance Numbers