Education alternatives

If you'd like to use your teaching qualification outside the mainstream educational settings, you'll find ideas here. For some of these roles a teaching qualification is not essential.

This 66-page PDF is produced by AGCAS (Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services).

If you need information from this PDF in a different format please let us know:

  • email

  • telephone +44 (0)131 650 4670

  • British Sign Language (BSL) users can contact us via contactSCOTLAND-BSL, the on-line BSL interpreting service. 


The PDF has information on the following roles which involve teaching, but not in mainstream education. Most but not all of these roles require teaching qualifications.


  • Adult and community education
  • Alternative education
  • Alternative provision
  • Environmental education
  • Health education and promotion
  • Museum education officer
  • Out of school learning
  • Special education
  • Teaching English as a foreign or second language
  • Traveller Education Services
  • Tutoring
  • Working with offenders

It also covers roles within the broader education sector. Most of these roles do not require a teaching qualification, but in many cases it could be beneficial:

  • Family support and advocacy work
  • Learning holidays
  • Learning resources
  • Playwork
  • School assessment and support services
  • Schools liaison/higher education liaison officer
  • Sports, leisure and outdoor education
  • Therapy and health roles
  • Visual and performing arts
  • Voluntary and charity sector roles
  • Youth work